Social Security Benefits may be Taxable? Really?

Many people may not realize the Social Security benefits they received in 2011 may be taxable.  All Social Security recipients should receive a Form SSA-1099 from the Social Security Administration which shows the total amount of their benefits.  You can use this information to help you determine if your benefits are taxable.  Here are seven tips from the IRS to help you: [Read more…]

5 Tips for Recently Married  or Divorced with Name Change

If you changed your name after a recent marriage or divorce, the IRS reminds you to take the necessary steps to ensure the name on your tax return matches the name registered with the Social Security Administration.  A mismatch between the name shown on your tax return and the SSA records can cause problems in the processing of your return and may even delay your refund.

Here are five tips from the IRS for recently married or divorced taxpayers who have a name change. [Read more…]