Everything You Wanted to Know about Amended Returns

Mistakes canstockphoto19458158

Should you file an amended return?

Did you discover that you made a mistake after you filed your federal tax return?

You can make it right by having Loggins Kern & McCombs file an amended tax return for you. Here are a few tips to keep in mind about filing an amended tax return.



[Read more…]

Top 10 Facts about Amending Your Tax Return


You Need to File – You should file an amended return if the following was reported incorrectly on your original return: your filing status, dependents, total income, deductions, or credits.


You Don’t Need to File – An amended return is not usually necessary for math errors or requests for missing forms.


Form – 1040X is used to amend your tax return (1040, 1040A or 1040EZ)


Multiple Amended Returns – each year should be on a separate form and mailed in separate envelopes.


Other Forms & Schedules – Any affected forms should be included with the 1040X.


Additional Refund – You should wait until you receive your original refund before amending for an additional refund.


Additional Tax – If you owe additional tax, you should file and pay as soon as possible to limit interest and penalties.


When & How – Amended returns should be filed within 3 years from the date you filed your original return or within 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. You must mail your amended return; amended returns cannot be filed electronically.


Processing Time – normal processing time is 8 to 12 weeks.


Who to Call – Loggins & Associates! We can help you determine if you should file an amended return and assist you with preparation of the return.