Here are some quick pointers on the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). The FMLA provides up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave if you qualify. For more information, click on the booklet, “Need Time?” shown to the right.
Do I qualify?
- Private employers with at least 50 employees are covered by the law. If your employer has fewer than 50 employees, they may be covered by a similar state law.
- Government agencies (local, state, and federal) are covered by the law regardless of the number of employees.
- There are a few other provisions, make sure you look at page 2 of the booklet above to determine your eligibility.
When Can FMLA be used?
- If you, your spouse, your child, or your parent has a serious health condition
- For the birth or adoption of a child and the bonding time afterwards
- Military family leave
- Yup — there are a few, uh, provisos. Ah, a couple of quid pro quo. Take a look at the booklet above for more information.