A little known tool for helping you with your individual taxes is Publication 17 (a 303 page pdf) from the IRS. It will help you answer such questions as:
- Do I have to file a return? (page 5)
- Do I need to file a return for my kids? (pages 5 and 6)
- How do I deal with the sale of my home on my taxes? (page 106)
- What kind of tax benefits can I get for tuition payments? (page 138)
- What records should I keep? (page 15)
- Am I eligible for the Earned Income Credit? (page 238)
And, obviously, since it is a 303 page document, it answers many more questions than the ones I’ve picked out here. Pub. 17 is a great resource for someone going it alone on their taxes. As always, if you think your tax return is a little more than you can (or want to) handle on your own, please give our office a call at 770-478-7424. We are located in Georgia, but we can help you with your taxes no matter where you are in the country.