Top 10 Facts about Amending Your Tax Return


You Need to File – You should file an amended return if the following was reported incorrectly on your original return: your filing status, dependents, total income, deductions, or credits.


You Don’t Need to File – An amended return is not usually necessary for math errors or requests for missing forms.


Form – 1040X is used to amend your tax return (1040, 1040A or 1040EZ)


Multiple Amended Returns – each year should be on a separate form and mailed in separate envelopes.


Other Forms & Schedules – Any affected forms should be included with the 1040X.


Additional Refund – You should wait until you receive your original refund before amending for an additional refund.


Additional Tax – If you owe additional tax, you should file and pay as soon as possible to limit interest and penalties.


When & How – Amended returns should be filed within 3 years from the date you filed your original return or within 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. You must mail your amended return; amended returns cannot be filed electronically.


Processing Time – normal processing time is 8 to 12 weeks.


Who to Call – Loggins & Associates! We can help you determine if you should file an amended return and assist you with preparation of the return.

Latest Tax News

Please note that we will only post things that are from official sources and have been passed into law. We will not post any information about pending legislation.